The CFAS is a multidisciplinary national non-profit Society that serves as the voice of reproductive specialists, scientists, and allied health professionals working in the field of Assisted Reproduction in Canada. Celebrating its 62nd year, the mission of the CFAS is to responsibly advance reproductive science and medicine in Canada through leadership, research and guidance. Through its 700 multidisciplinary membership, the CFAS aims to promote excellence in the field of Assisted Reproduction to the benefit of Canadians and children born of this technology.
In 1954 the Society was founded under the name of The Canadian Society for the Study of Fertility. It was created by a small group of physicians whose primary practice and research centered on the problems of fertility in the human female and male. Its purpose was to promote study and research in the field of infertility. The name of the society was changed to The Canadian Fertility Society in April 1972. At that time, there was a great emphasis on fertility control and the first book published by the Canadian Fertility Society was A Practical Manual on Reproduction edited by Drs. Collins and Rioux. In 1982 the Society merged with The Canadian Andrology Society to become the Canadian Fertility and Andrology Society. Currently the Society’s membership has grown to include more than 400 obstetricians and gynaecologists, urologists, reproductive endocrinologists, research scientists, and other health care professionals from every province as well as members from other countries.
Membership to the Society is open for all individuals active in the field of reproductive medicine and science including medical doctors, scientists, nurses, laboratory technicians, embryologists, counsellors, psychologists, social workers, ethicists, lawyers, trainees, etc.
For more information about the history of the Society , please consult The History of the Canadian Fertility and Andrology Society (1954-1989) by John A. Collins, MD, FRCSC, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, McMaster University, Journal SOGC, June 1992