Province: Vaughan, Ontario
Deadline: January 14, 2022
Posted: December 17, 2021
Job Description / Duties
The Embryologist is responsible for the appropriate handling and care of gametes and embryos during ART treatment. Performance of this role involves accurate manipulation of human oocytes (eggs) and sperm for:
Intra-uterine Insemination (IUI), Donor Insemination (DI), In vitro fertilization (IVF), Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI), selection of resulting embryos for transfer back to patients.
Selection of competent embryos and oocytes for cryopreservation (freezing) and performance of the embryo/oocyte freezing and the eventual thawing procedure.
The Embryologist is accountable for proper recording, documentation of assessments and procedures performed, and proper use of the Electronic Medical Record.
• Ensures that all technical procedures are carried out according to the Laboratory Procedure Manual in a reliable, competent manner;
• Ensures all communications of the department are screened and acted upon;
• Ensure the correct identification of specimens, and conveys to the Laboratory Director/Supervisor or promptly deals with any unsuitable specimens;
• Issues provisional reports according to protocols so that delays in transmitting information to the medical staff are minimized;
• Records data on tests/procedures in a clear and concise way, so that all staff members can immediately understand what tests/procedures have been performed and what results obtained;
• Conveys any significant abnormal test/procedure results to the Laboratory Director (or Laboratory Supervisor), or take appropriate action as required;
• Ensures that an adequate inventory of reagents, media and lab supplies are in readiness at all times to perform tests and procedures;
• Brings to the attention of the Laboratory Director/Supervisor or acts upon any errors detected or made, and respond as objectively as possible;
• Uses all laboratory equipment according to laboratory protocols and guidelines and reports or repairs actual or potential malfunctions immediately;
• Becomes familiar with all new or revised procedures as they become available and maintains laboratory currency by regular review of the Laboratory Manual;
• Assists in training new personnel or technologists from other centers in learning laboratory tests/procedures and recording methods;
• Participates in safety programs within the clinic;
• Maintains up-to-date quality assurance records for tests and procedures performed in the Laboratory;
• Performs frequent maintenance, monitoring and repair of essential equipment to ensure optimum operation;
• Participates in continuing education through attendance at internal journal clubs and outside meetings and symposia.
Qualifications / Required Skills
• Sound understanding of human reproductive biology;
• 1-2 years of experience in human IVF
• An ability to apply rigorous quality control procedures;
• Well-developed problem solving skills;
• Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work under minimal supervision
• Effective communication and interpersonal skills;
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
• Knowledge of IVF, ICSI, Blastocyst Vitrification and Thawing, Embyro Transfer.
• Availability to work weekends and holidays on a rotation and as needed basis
• MSc or BSc in Biological or Reproductive Sciences, MSc preferred
• The Embryologist must demonstrate an ongoing commitment for continuing self development.
• Acquire and maintain certification as Embryologist in the Canadian Fertility and Andrology Society (CFAS).
• Participate in professional associations at a regional, national, and international level.
• Maintain clinical competence through the integration of practise, education and research within the specialty role.
• Excellent fine motor skills.
• Exceptional attention to detail.
• An ability to apply rigorous quality control procedures.
• Well developed problem-solving techniques.
• Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work under minimal supervision.
• Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
• Knowledgeable about providing a safe and inclusive environment to gender and sexually diverse people (2SLGBTQIA+).
• Committed to patient centered care.
Individuals employed in this position are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and must submit proof of vaccination prior to starting their employment with Generation Fertility as a condition of hire. Generation Fertility will provide reasonable accommodation to individuals who cannot be vaccinated due to disability or any other ground protected by the applicable human rights legislation.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Generation Fertility celebrates a team-based approach to providing an excellent, highly responsive and personalized care experience for every patient. Every member of our multi-disciplinary team is valued for playing a critical role in delivering this experience. If you want to be a part of our collaborative and supportive team, consider joining us!
Based out of beautiful and modern clinic facilities in Vaughan, our staff enjoy a fulfilling work environment, with the support and tools to develop your career and grow professionally.